Saturday, August 18, 2007

Words & Self control

I know that for those who grew up in the 80s, the mention of 'Words' would bring to mind the song by ? which goes 'words (ta ta tem), they don't come easy to me.....' or 'More than words' by Extreme.

But the real reason for the entry entitled 'Words' is that I was struck by one of the points made in our study of Ecclesiates today about the fool who does not watch his words which resulted in destruction. It got me thinking if I've ever said things too hastily which 'tears down' instead of 'building up'. Lord help me to watch my words, as they say, think before you speak. Better to be silent then speak words that are unhelpful. Help me speak words that bring life instead of death.

As for 'self-control', 2 songs come to mind - Laura Bradigan's and Janet Jackson's song of the same title. But the real reason behind the title again comes from what I was struck with in our learning of Ecclesiates about how better or how powerful it is for a subordinate to restrain from retaliating than to make war with his superiors. Many a times we react emotionally to a bad comment about us instead of addressing the issue perhaps because our pride is hurt. This got me thinking that perhaps God is preparing me to have self control by not being too defensive or argumentative should I receive a comment or feedback for my work which hurts me as I have recently returned to the commercial world for work. Lord, help me to receive comments graciously and give replies that will help the other party understand me and turn them to make me a better worker that pleases you.

Ok, as I sign off...a verse from song of songs (not related to this entry) comes to mind -'My beloved is mine and I am his, his banner over me is love.' As the song based on this verse rings in my mind.....gd nite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home