Wednesday, September 28, 2005

The company we keep

That was the title of tonite's CLOB-Lobs study. But I'm not going to go into that study. Besides the study, the title caused me to think about the company I keep.

Not much these days since most of my peers have moved on. But it got me to remember those times. :)

It was late 1996 I think. I was looking to change church, a new church to settle into. Somehow, I got involved in a tuesday night bible study at ARPC. Little did I know that it was 'magical', it was something God has so blessed me with that on hindsight, now that I think of it....wow! How amazing God works....for prior to that, my world was upside down, in topsy turvy and there was my aspirations to serve God in a fulltime paid capacity.

For at that bible study, there was a large cohort of returnees from Sydney amongst others. And they were doing the book of Mark. My first bible study where I covered a book systematically from cover to cover. It completely blew my mind! It was like scales fell of my eyes, it was truly enlightening, it's like how Martin Luther finally understood that salvation was by grace and not by works when he read Romans or how John Wesley felt the warmth in his heart when he finally understood God's grace working in his life.

Yup, it really warmth my heart and renovated my mind.

Then, of course there was the company. A bunch of single guys whom about 4 were ex-FOCUS (trained under Philip) and 1 from perth (was very well read and exposed to the Reformed teachings) and 1 from UK (trained at St Helens).

Yeah, after bible studies, we would adjourned to Adam Road Hawker Centre and talked and talked and discussed about various theological issues and life. I really learnt a lot from those sessions besides from the bible studies! Wow! That kind of company was for me, once in a lifetime, so since then, I've never come across such an experience. (for at bible college, most of my understanding has already been formed prior to it ....so mostly fine tuning and of course some new learning for sure). Oh how I asked so many questions and yup learnt a great deal!

Yeah, it was a tremendous blessing I must say. One that perhaps can never be reproduced.....can only come from God....the timing.....the provision.....it was magical. :)

It must have been very formative for me and a significant contributer to the shaping of me. A significant turning point.

And that was the period too when I bought and I read and read lots of Christian books, the bible (yup i remember how i read verociously....just couldn't stop reading...chapter after chapter of the Bible), listen to lots of Christian music etc.....yup those were my formative years......the company I kept, yup indeed mattered. And I thank God for providing me with such a company.

Where can one find such a company again......I wonder......

(Then of course there was the PWCF and the Returnees ministry....those were different but fine company too!)
(Then in the mid 90s there was a surge of Christian music from Hosanna Integrity fueled by Don Moen and the gang and the usual suspect of Christian contemporary music like Michael W Smith, Steven Curtis Chapman, Amy Grant etc etc)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home