Friday, October 07, 2005

Gambling

Hi! I recently attended a meeting, while it is still fresh in my mind :-

It seems that gambling is wrong from the Christian perspective on the account of 4 principles which are (I hope I remembered them correctly :) :

a) it breaches ....ah can't remember...
b) gambling operates on chances....this runs contrary to living on trusting God rather than on chances
c) it breaches the love your neighbour commandment...as one's gain results in another's loss
d) it promotes coveteouness or greed which will lead to idolatry to greed, in other words breed the worship of money rather than God.

However, while holding the above principles as true, some Christians say that there is room for certain kinds of gambling.

So for e.g Richard Baxter (a puritan) in the 17th century, says that 'recreational gambling' is ok. recreational in the sense of having fun or making a point in a social or close relationship context for eg amongst friends. like one would call a 'friendly wager'. and usually this sum is small. Hmm....what do you think?

Anyway this is for food for thought.

Goodnite!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home